Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Complaint

So here's my complaint of the week:  Health Insurance. I get fairly good insurance from my job, but as of next month there will be yet another premium and maximum out-of-pocket increase. I actually get my insurance for free, but Hysen and Liam are added on also. I have shopped around for different insurance for the two of them, but whenever I find a low premium, the deductible or maximum out-of-pocket is sky high. And whenever I find a low deductible, the premium is outrageous. Or when I find both a low premium and a low deductible, the insurance doesn't carry anyone in the area I live in. What the heck!?

Here's a question:  How is it that I can pay almost $400 a month for insurance with a $10,000 deductible (yes TEN thousand!) when someone I know doesn't have any insurance and has gotten over $100,000 in hospital treatments for FREE? Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I have insurance. It gives me peace of mind that we are protected and can get the help we need. And I'm also glad that there are free programs that can help people who don't have insurance. I once waited 3 days to go the emergency room for a broken finger because I didn't have insurance. I finally went when my finger was twice its normal size. So I know how it feels to be scared because you don't have insurance and you're worried about money. But now I also know how it feels to pay a large premium every month and still have to worry about the doctor's bill.

I am grateful that my job offers health insurance and I know that the rates are actually pretty low compared to other people's. There are many people who have worked hard to ensure that we are offered the lowest possible premiums and such. But isn't there a bigger picture here than just my family? What about the millions of people in the U.S. alone that don't have insurance? Or that have insurance, but still can't afford to pay the bills that aren't covered? I understand that we all try to have financial security, that material things can be a sign of status, and that we all strive for success, but do some professionals in the medical community really need that fourth car? Or that 25,000 sq foot beach house? Or that 50 million trust fund? And what about the insurance companies? Where does all of my money go if not straight to my medical bills? I suppose into someone's pocket.

Okay, I don't want to get into a finger-pointing contest with anyone. There are a lot of great doctors who deserve to be rewarded for their specialties and there are a lot of good people in the insurance industry. But I think that so many people fall through the cracks. We have a system in place in this country, but I don't think it works. Okay, correction:  It works until you get sick.

So, here's my list of things I can do to plan for the future...and to afford stuff:

1. I will never get sick again.
2. Hysen and Liam will never get sick again.
3. I will get a second (or third) job to pay for health insurance (forget about saving for retirement or building a college fund for Liam).
4. I will become a doctor in multiple fields (Pediatrics, Gynecology, Obstetrics, Oncology, etc) so if we do get sick, I can just it treat myself. (Being my own doctor during labor and delivery might get a little tricky, though. Hysen might have to become a doctor, too.)
5. Get a fourth and fifth job to pay for medical school and the counseling I will need due to exhaustion and stress.
6. End up selling our house and possesions to meet our $45,000 deductible (around the year 2025).
7. And finally, move to Canada (or even Cuba) because they have a free health care system. Of course we'll have to walk there (or swim in the case of Cuba) because we sold our car...

This picture doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the post, but Liam is just nice to look at.
Especially when sporting a cute bat outfit.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Before I was married I had double coverage, Tricare(retired military insurance from my fathers hard work) and educature mutual(yet again to my fathers hard work). I never had a copay and I rarely paid for doctor bills. For example, i had a surgery the day before I got married and I haven't paid a penny. But NOW that I'm married, I am only covered under ONE insurance. It sucks cause I just had TWO surgeries about a month ago and found out that I'm pregnant. We have paid so much money already and now I got another bill for over $800. How is that possible? I don't understand how they expect people to pay so much money for an EMERGENCY. Yes, I understand that the doctors need to be paid, but really? Like you said, do the need 4 cars, and huge homes, ect? My mom complained to me when the Presidential elections were going on about how the middle class is always going to be screwed. We were looking at getting on the some health care programs that are free to women that are pregnant, oh but guess what? We make like a hundred dollars or so too much. I am not sure yet how I feel about the whole free insurance thing cause I know that a lot of doctors will quit their jobs cause they wont make enough money or they will do a half-a&# job at it cause they aren't getting paid. So what do we do? I could go on and on and on, but I wont! :) I am so happy for you and Hysen, Liam is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie. And congratulations! I know you will have beautiful kids!
    When I had Liam, all of the doctors visits and hospital bills came to about $8000. Insurance only paid a fraction of that and my job (through an HRA account) paid a lot of it. I was left with over $1500 in bills...and I was paying a little over $300 for insurance a month. Sometimes it doesn't even seem worth it to have the insurance. But now that we have a child that's not even an option.
    Hope everything's okay (you mentioned surgeries) and congratulations again!!! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete